- 1 tbsp neutral-flavoured oil like grapeseed or rice bran
- 4 red Asian or French eschalots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 star anise
- 8 cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 cups beef, chicken or mushroom stock
- 4 cups pure unsweetened coconut water
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 175g fried bean curd, sliced into matchsticks
- 3-4 tbsp fish sauce
- 200g brown rice stick noodles
- 150g beef sirloin, very thinly sliced
Toppings, to serve
- Mixed herbs, such as Thai basil, mint, Vietnamese mint and coriander
- Bean sprouts
- Red chilli, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges
- Add the oil, eschalots, garlic, ginger and spices to a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for 5 minutes, until fragrant, stirring regularly.
- Add stock, coconut water and mushrooms, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Strain through a fine sieve. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Return the broth and mushrooms to the pan. Stir in the bean curd and add fish sauce to taste. Bring the broth back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the noodles according to packet instructions. Divide among four serving bowls. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with mushrooms and beef. Serve immediately with toppings.
Want more recipes, plus fitness advice, wellbeing and more? Check it all out right here.
Recipe from Three Veg and Meat by Olivia Andrews, published by Murdoch Books. Photography by Phu Tang.