Poaching is a great way to cook chicken breast. It’s fat-free and keeps the chicken moist and tender. Keep reading for this yummy poached chicken, broad bean and apple salad with toasted seeds recipe.
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 500g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 400g fresh or frozen broad beans
- 100g spinach or baby rocket leaves
- 1 red apple, cored, diced
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp pepitas, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp natural almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp dill, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple juice
- Place onion, peppercorns and a pinch of sea salt in a large saucepan with 1.25L cold water and bring to the boil. Add chicken, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside to continue poaching for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from saucepan and set aside to cool. Coarsely chop the chicken.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans in a large saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Refresh under cold running water. Drain, then peel off the skins and discard.
- Place the chicken, beans, spinach, apple, seeds, almonds and herbs in a large bowl. Whisk together the walnut oil, vinegar and apple juice. Add to salad and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Get more healthier recipes here.
Recipe from the Anti-Inflammatory Cookbook by Chrissy Freer, published by Murdoch Books. Photography by Julie Renouf.