- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen garden peas
- 1 small white-fleshed sweet potato, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 small potatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 2 small chicken breast fillets
- Handful mint leaves
- 1 lemon, zest
- Heat your slow cooker to high. Combine stock, onion, garlic, peas, sweet potato, carrot, potatoes and dried mint in the bowl of the slow cooker. Cover and cook for three hours, until all the vegetables are tender.
- Working quickly to avoid losing too much heat, add the chicken to the slow cooker, nudging it into the soup so it’s completely covered. Cover and cook for one hour, until the chicken is white and cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate or chopping board. Turn the slow cooker down to low and leave the soup covered to keep warm.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, use your fingers or two forks to shred the meat into strips. Stir the chicken back into the soup.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with mint leaves and lemon zest.
Recipe from The Healthy Slow Cooker, by Ross Dobson, published by Murdoch Books. Photography by Jeremy Simons.