For the meatballs:
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g minced beef or lamb
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tbsp almond meal
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup grated cheese of choice
- A few sprigs of basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Place meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well. Shape mix into 16 meatballs and place in the fridge until needed.
- For sauce, heat oil in a large oven-proof frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add garlic, carrot and tomatoes. Stir to mix, bring to the boil and add vinegar.
- Remove meatballs from fridge and add to sauce. Transfer to oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over cheese, then bake for another 10 minutes, until cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Divide between bowls, sprinkle with basil and drizzle with EVOO just before serving.
Recipe from What the Fat? Recipes by Craig Rodger, Dr Caryn Zinn and Grant Schofield, published by Murdoch Books. Photography by Todd Eyre.