This yummy chicken and vegetable lasagne from CSIRO Protein Plus is a great option for mid week dinner.
- Light olive oil spray, for cooking
- 4 large zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced into rounds
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced
- 600g chicken breast fillet
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 700g tomato passata
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 28g flaked almonds
- 1 bunch rocket, leaves trimmed
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Heat a large chargrill pan on high. Lightly spray the zucchini, eggplant and pumpkin on both sides with olive oil. Chargrill in batches for 3-4 minutes, until just tender and golden.
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally, then place the pieces between two sheets of baking paper and pound with a meat mallet until 2mm thick. Sprinkle with the dried herbs and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Lightly spray a 30 x 20cm baking dish with olive oil.
- Spoon a little of the passata over the base of the dish. Top with a layer of chicken, some baby spinach leaves and then a layer of chargrilled vegetables. Spoon over more passata to cover evenly, then repeat the layers with the remaining chicken, baby spinach, vegetables and passata, finishing with a final layer of passata. Sprinkle the top with almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Serve with rocket tossed in balsamic.
Recipe from CSIRO Protein Plus by Dr Jane Bowen, Professor Grant Brinkworth and Genevieve James-Martin, published by Macmillan Australia.