This avocado salad with macadamia pesto is the ideal vegan side dish.
- 2 avocados, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways and finely sliced diagonally
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 120g alfalfa sprouts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp macadamia nuts, toasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Macadamia pesto (makes 250g)
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks roughly chopped
- 1 bunch coriander or mint leaves
- 125ml extra virgin olive, avocado, hemp or macadamia oil
- 3 tbsp macadamia nuts
- 1 lemon, zest, juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- For the pesto, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until well combined.
- To serve, place a spoonful or two of the pesto in the centre of each serving plate and spread out with the back of the spoon. Any leftover pesto will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week and makes a great dip for roasted veggies or a topping for pizzas.
- Finely slice the avocado and arrange them evenly over the pesto. Top with cucumber, radish and alfalfa sprouts, drizzle over the oil and scatter over the macadamia nuts to finish. Season well with salt and pepper and serve.
Get more recipes here.
Recipe from Eat More Vegan by Luke Hines, published by Plum. Photography by Mark Ropper.