A new year, a fresh start - how are you going to make this year your year for getting what you want?
As fun as they are, champagne-fuelled resolutions are unlikely to lead to any lasting change. To get what you really want, you need to have a plan. So how will you make next year different?
Check these three things off the list to ensure you have a solid plan:
Check box 1: Have a dream
What is it that you really want? A house, a new career, a healthier lifestyle? Take some time out to dream about your ideal life - the one you would create for yourself if you got the chance to start all over again. What would be different?
- If you're unhappy in your job, but you're not sure where to go, check out our tips for finding a career that fits your values.
- If you want to travel or buy your dream home with your beau, check out our tips for joining finances so you can save together.
- If it's time to kick-start some healthier habits - but you've been making the same resolution for 5 years with no change - start by addressing some of the thoughts that could be holding you back from weight loss.
Check box 2: Set your goals
Time and time again, research has shown that specific, measurable goals are the most motivating.
- Start by reading over our tips for creating SMART goals: goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely.
- If your goal is weight loss, make sure you read over our specific tips for sticking to New Year weight loss resolutions.
Check box 3: Start planning
The saying, ‘A goal without a plan is just a wish,’ couldn't be truer. Once you know exactly what you want, you need to figure out how you're going to get there. Work backwards from the big goal and pencil mini-milestones into your new calendar - mini goals that will help you stay on track to reaching that big goal.
For example, if you wanted to save $12,000 by the end of the year, you would need to save $1000 a month, or around $230 a week. Putting this cash aside into a separate savings account after each pay cycle would ensure you remained on track to reaching your goal.
Top life changing tips:
- Depending on your goal, get friends, family or even a personal trainer or food coach involved to help you stay on-track and accountable to your goals.
- Never dismiss the impact little changes can have on helping you reach your dream.
- Give yourself a little break every now and again and remember to reward yourself. Celebrating success has been proven to boost your performance long term.